Werid Leicester: An outlaw legacy

I like Sons of Anarchy. That is not a particularly controversial statement, in the seven years that the show was on television it garnered a sizeable following and it's easy to see why: the show's narrative is pure crime fiction of the most enjoyable kind. The assorted characters that inhabit the titular outlaw motorcycle club are the friendly, likeable, family orientated face of the criminal underworld, in a world full of bad guys, they are the least bad.

As you might imagine, the show trades heavily on the mythic status of real outlaw clubs such as the Hells Angels. The more I watched the show, having always had a certain fascination with the world's criminal subcultures, I found myself drawn towards researching the real crimes, exploits and history of outlaw motorcycle clubs, specifically within the UK and the part of it I call home: the city of Leicester.

At first I didn't think I would find anything. Like most midlands cities, Leicester has suffered in our post industrial world and now sits somewhere in the middle, both geographically and culturally: better than Wolverhampton but nowhere near as good as Birmingham. However, I had barely gone beyond a preliminary search of the internet when I discovered that Leicester had history with two of the world's largest outlaw clubs: The Outlaws and, amazingly, the Hells Angels!

The history of The Outlaws in Leicestershire ( according to their own website at least) showcases some spectacularly varied DNA. Originally founded as "pariah MC" in the late 1970's they were initially simply a small group disaffected riders. Over the following decade however, they absorbed several other, smaller clubs across England and Wales and became the local representation of The Outlaws in the early 90's and remain so to this day.

By contrast, the History of The Hells Angels in Leicester is rather quaint. Like many of the other branches of the angels here in the UK, the Leicester Angels ( Called Hells Angels Ratae, named for the ancient Roman town upon which Leicester would eventually be built.) was founded in 1969. Brought together by a love for Hunter S Thompson's "Hell's Angels, ( a brilliant piece of journalism, transcendent of its genre, far superior  to many of the "tell all" books written by biker themselves and highly recommended.) they began meeting at various cafés around the city before acquiring a clubhouse on Conduit street. According an interview printed in The Leicester Mercury in 2010, they enjoyed considerable local notoriety.
 However, unlike their American cousins or even the founders of the UK angels in London, their story met a quiet end when they apparently refused to ratify their charter   with the mother club and then disbanded shortly afterwards, leaving former members to lead settled ordinary lives in Leicester.

So, there you have it, proof that appearances can indeed be deceiving and that Leicester is even stranger than you might think... 

Comments

  1. My brothers was in the hells angels and i met Phillip whaling and randy grump bill billson . They was great guys . My brother took me to the caff on Narborough road many times . I felt safe in there company and they all ways shown me respect. I loved them like they was my own brothers. They made sure i was safe and looked after when i was in there company. And i had respect for them . My brother past away 19 years ago now . I often think about them times in the caff and in the old woolworths in town .

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few corrections needed here. The Ratae was formed in 1967 not 1969. Also, there was no "quiet end" to the club due to refusing to "ratify their charter with the mother club", as you state. Ratae was never willing to ratify anything with any other club and made it quite clear to all concerned. The end of the "early Ratae was due to disagreements between various members of the club after the club President left his position and stepped down. The club split into various factions until the early 1980's when Scouse took over the Presidency and formed a new club with new members. That ended a few years later after Scouse and other members were jailed for many years.
    R.A. ( ex Ratae-1969-1976 )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I believe my cousin Alan Warden was with the club back then, his Son Mark is having a sleeve tattoo done and wanted to know what type of bike his Dad rode, unfortunately big Al is no longer with us, do you have any info, many thanks Garry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good lord, that name is a blast from the past. I recall many names/faces from my teen years.. They were nice guys. I recall another group called Law breakers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. did you even know the ratae because you are talking about lot of shot

    ReplyDelete
  6. you talk some right shit my dad digsy was in the first lot and the second lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since you wrote that response and now you know me and my close friend relationship with you father. I'm sure you have a different view. Later my friend

      Delete
  7. As a teenager and aspiring biker back in the day I regarded the ratae as serious people deserving respect although I did'nt hang out as they were older guys but I do remember one fella called Grump cos he parked his Hog across the canal near Charles Keen College

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember grump, I think his name was Steve whiteheads or something similar.
      That guy could ride a bike, we used to hang around as a large gang of young lads down the Aylestone canal, we did a lot of scrambling on bikes down the old canyon.
      Grump used to come down on a montessa and he ride it like he stole it.
      Some of the angels used to have a house just off of Aylestone road welcome brown and others I think.
      I remember the law breakers early 80s, a lot of them got sent down in 82 and I think the rest joined the rate.
      There is a lot of history to the leicester angels pre rate days.
      One of the early greats is be buried this month.
      Alan Hitchcock

      Delete
  8. We were greasers from Braunstone Estate and used to hang out in the Narborough road cafe, about 20 of us. The Ratae were there all the time and never bothered us. I remember Grump, Grizz, Bill, Tiny, Jady, Scouse, and a couple of others and have photos of them from 1970.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill is my dad 😘 would love old piks. He's not long got over leukaemia if same Bill. Mr Bill S. Missus Denise

      Delete
  9. Used to drink with the pariah at the pub on new walk, knew one well, still have a jacket he gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up with my mum Janice and tich. All these names you're saying are a blast from the past. Digsy, grumps and scouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I know you. How you doing ? How's Jan ? You
      Lived on the corner near shops till Jan moved to newfields Road by coop. Remember your dreadlock dog? Gorgeous. How nice Jan did the garden there. The lean to with the bikes in. Etc etc etc Jan was my friend . Remember when she smashed her legs up? Remember ailing?

      Delete
  11. Phill Cunninhgham .my old bro in Law.RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SCOUSE WAS A LOSER. THE RED ON BLUE ALLIANCE COULD HAVE CHANGED THE WORLD. ILL SEE YOU IN HELL MOFO. ADIOS AHAMD FTHA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's all about image

The Origin Story